Friday, July 1, 2011

Going back home

出る杭は打たれる
Illustration taken from
The Special Parent
Well, I made it. After two years of staying in Ghana, it is finally time to go back home.

Did I miss Belgium? Yes, not only because I wanted to be close to family and loved ones again, or being able to speak my mother tongue, but mostly because I had the feeling that I sometimes was sticking out like a sore thumb.

In general, Ghanaian people are very nice and I made a lot of friends over the years. But there really are situations that I just can't grasp. Or, even worse, the opposite, that people don't understand my reaction or ignore me.

Hearing "yes, but you are white" as an explanation for being treated differently than the rest, is very confronting. I never liked this situation (there for the illustration: "the nail that sticks out, gets hammered down").

Therefore I hope that I will finally be relieved of this discrimination and find peace at home again.
Also, training people all this time made me hungry for a technical job again, I hope to find something to my satisfaction back in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...